FMP: Week 10

Current update:

Adding some cloth treatment in form of seams:
 I subdivided the cloth and used MAHcut brushes suggested by Jordan and seam brushes I had downloaded prior, with LazyMouse and LazySnap on :) Unfortunately subdividing extended the average time it takes my laptop to complete Quicksave to 200 seconds and that was quite unbearable. I changed the Quicksave frequency from once in 20 minutes to once in 50 minutes so hopefully my PC doesn't decide to give me that old familiar BSOD during that extended timeframe and cause me to lose my work  :D



Here's how it kind of goofed out on me already :')

I added some armor detailing closer to the initial concept using deformers and ZModeler.

I also re-attached the previously detached head (I'm used to working with head and body detached as I'm usually adding more detail and subdiv to the head first but I realised it wasn't too necessary in this case). Reattached with ZModeler, Bridge Holes is a great tool!

Still needs a little bit of smoothing and adjustment but she no longer resembles Nearly Headless Nick from HP :) 


Added detailing on pants and bodysuit, subdivided the belts:


I'm not sure if I should compress the skin in the belt area more as the pants-bit is symmetrical and the belts are not on the same level so the compression wouldn't be balanced. If I decided to make the pants asymmetrical, it should not be too difficult to adjust as I sculpted on layers and using Morph target, but it is a lot of additonal texture space to consider.

Some detailing on the back + added the archer glove:

Next, I worked on adjusting the model according to the great feedback I got from Jordan - I added loops and curves into the dents to ensure better baking:

Original topology, dents are sharp and would bake poorly



Adding loops and a slight curve to the dent:

Jordan's feedback made me think more about baking and angles overall, here I added a chamfer to an outside edge because it felt like it would end up being too sharp without it. 



I did the same with some other edges:

I repeated the workflow on other assets, such as the metal "wings". It's hard to see in the 3dsmax viewport but the angles are there :D 

Next up, I need to start adding trims and dents to the gold/metals and subtle texture/wear to leather. I've been reluctant about doing so until the latest stages because each subdivision kills my old laptop just a little bit more and adds a significant percentage of lags, but I think the base is okay so we're good to go.

I'm also having a dilemma on whether she should have her nails painted or if that's a bit of an overkill :D On the in-game model, her nails are clear so I'll probably stick to that version.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FMP: Kled - Pedestal

PROJECT 1: Choosing the workflow

FMP: Week 11 - more feedback time :)