FMP: Week 2 - Kled UVs

After polishing the low poly, modeling the anchor/harpoon and checking the topo efficiency, I could finally go onto separating things for UVing. These are some of my notes from the process:

Two texture sheets needed, final resolution 512x512 px for each.

KLED
- Kled face: asymmetrical because of the beard
- ears: symmetrical, broken up by the earring (additional geo)
- Face UVs should take up at least 20% of the body’s UVs so that sufficient detail is retained.
- Mirroring the pants, brows, hands, gloves, shoes
- Front jacket unique, back of jacket mirrored

SKAARL
- Includes the main weapon, map, harpoon, saddle
- Eyes separated as face geo has too extreme angles (hard to unwrap)
- Face and body symmetrical, when texturing, need to figure out lighting which will make it look natural and not too similar
- Saddle straps attached to body, angles arent't too harsh
Before unwrapping, I made sure that my models have a good tricount. The max. tricounts I set up for myself were:
Kled: max. 6k tris (final: 4 477 tris)
Kled’s weapon 1 (spear/sword): max. 1.5k tris (final: 858 tris)
Kled’s weapon 2 (harpoon):  max. 1.5k tris (final: 637 tris)
Kled’s mount Skaarlt: 1x rigged and posed model, max. 7k tris (final: 5 641 tris)I think I used each vert to add something to the silhouette/form, which is the main thing that matters :D I am wondering if I should have gone into more detail with the ears and beard but I was scared of overdoing things.

UVing Process:

Mirroring the back manually (I mirrored most things by using symmetry but this part would have taken more time to detach and re-attach if a symmetry modifier was used (the front is unique so I could not symmetricise it).


Before I started UVing, I added some detail to the mesh (e.g.: inset + extrude on the buckle) because I had a lot of unused tricount

Kled UVs before packing

Kled UVs after packing. I enlarged the face area slightly to capture most of the detail. A lot of the model is symmetricised.
Packing: Trying to keep the areas of the same objects together for better orientation when handpainting.
Unwrapping Skaarl: The head was trickier - I had to unwrap the "hair" strands and the face separately and then stitch them together and relax to get the most optimal result. I did not stitch the body and the head together as it would take up too much of the square texture area (would probably have to be packed diagonally) and I knew I'm going to pack a weapon and many other straight/longer-uv'd things on this sheet so I didn't want those to intersect.

Skaarl final unwrap.
Shot of the harpoon and comparison to the concept :) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FMP: Kled - Pedestal

PROJECT 1: Choosing the workflow

FMP: Week 11 - more feedback time :)