PROJECT 3: Sea of Thieves Props Brief

For my third project, I chose something I am familiar with, the Sea of Thieves Prop Brief - I have already worked on the Sea of Thieves style during my second year group project and I enjoyed it very much, especially the foliage-making. There were no main foliage props to choose from in the brief but as we are required to make a diorama/simple set, I think I might fit some plants in. Rare also recently released a trailer for their beautiful new game, Everwild:
Image result for everwild
which is such a great source for inspiration especially in the foliage area. 

As I am a little behind on my second project, I realise planning is crucial with this one. I'd finally like to fully impose the 3 weeks deadline and not just go over like I usually do. Balancing university and multiple jobs is tough but I see it as a good preparation for the industry, where deadlines can be even tighter and time less plentiful especially during crunch time. 

The assets I have chosen:




The first part of the project will be sketching out the rough idea for the diorama just so I can see how many assets I will have to work on overall. I chose the birdcage because I'd love to add something more organic to my scene (apart from the foliage). I found some lovely designs of parrots by Rare and I'll be hoping to add one of them in. Rigging and animating will be a stretch goal but I feel like it can definitely make my scene feel more alive. 


I chose the Blunderbuss (the badass gun) mainly because I found this godly breakdown by Matt Wilkins (Rare) describing each stage of him making it. The concept in the breakdown is also different in textures and shows possible variations which will allow me to populate my scene with different looking assets and less work. 

As for the rest of the scene, I am thinking of a diorama cut out from a pirate's cabin, 'boss' place in the tavern' or maybe a pet shop. Here are some of the references I gathered for the design:


 The final scene will be a much smaller version of some of these. Although I do love Rare's style and I would gladly recreate the whole scenes, I know from experience that I should hold my horses on the expectations of what I can do in a set time :D 


Very rough mashup of initial ideation for the scene. I might do a simple 3d blockout next to be sure about the proportions but so far it seems that the additional assets I will have to create will be:
the armchair, pedestal, wood planks, wall, wall decor, window, foliage, cloth on top of the wall, cloth on stairs, wooden box. That is quite a lot, although the process for wall and wood planks should be similar and therefore easier. I will try to brainstorm through it tonight and come up with a secured concept by tomorrow so I can create my timeline. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FMP: Kled - Pedestal

PROJECT 1: Choosing the workflow

FMP: Week 11 - more feedback time :)